Wednesday, June 17, 2009

God Still Works in the USA

While in Guyana it was easier to see how God worked in my life than He did back home. At home we have so much that we forget to pay attention to the things that God is doing in our lives. I arrived home June 4. The last legs of my journey was a little worrisome, but God worked it out. My carry on would not fit in the plane that took me from Miami to Atlanta, so the flight attendant checked my bag to Medford, OR. I misunderstood her and thought I’d get it as I exited the plane in Atlanta. Later I realized that that was not the case. I had taken my laptop, Bible, and wallet out of my carry on before she checked it. I had thought to just take my laptop, because I have seen them drop my bag in these situations before. But there was a voice in my head that said to take my wallet as well. As we arrived in Atlanta I realized that I had 20 minutes till my next plane took off. Generally these planes board 30 minutes before hand. I was sure praying, not only that I would make it but also that my luggage would make the quick transfer. I found my gate (which was across the entire Atlanta airport) and rushed off. I arrived at the gate hearing the last of the announcement “… you have 20 seconds, and the door is closed.” Wow, I showed her my license and she printed me a ticket and in I went. I was so thankful to God for getting me on that plane, now I was just praying that my luggage would make it. My connection in Salt Lake was very similar but not so close. Praise the Lord, when I made it home I had all my luggage!

After being home a week, I was starting to plan out my summer. I had it pretty full with a couple of weeks to play with. I had decided while in Guyana that my summer was too short to look for work, (which turns out to be a decision from God). My pastor called my dad Thursday morning and asked if I was interested in going to ARISE on Sunday. I had never really thought that much about going to ARISE because it was during the school year and it would throw off my schooling. After less than 24 hours of knowing about the summer program that ARISE offers I was signed up and packing (I had to leave in one day). So now I’m at ARISE in San Jose, CA taking their summer GYC/ARISE Crosstraining program.

Before I went to Guyana, I didn’t really see God working in my life here in North America. After seeing God work so much in Guyana for nine months, I am more in tune to the way He works. I completely believe that God was directing my summer many months ago when I decided not to work this summer. He had plans for me. When we are looking for God’s workings in our lives there are so many that pop out at us. What an awesome God we serve.

3 comments:

Missionary Girl said...

That's so cool Karla! I'm so glad you are seeing God at work, and thanks for sharing with us! By the way, what is ARISE?

Unknown said...

Hey Karla! This is David. Wil and I came down this winter to check out DIIC for a week. Could you send me your e-mail address? I have questions. Wil's family and mine are planning on moving down there in another month or so to take over the operations at
DIIC. God bless you this summer! - David (schnicktar at yahoo dot com)

Sara said...

That's awesome Karla! So glad to hear how God has been leading you.
Looking forward to seeing you!