I’m writing this to you on September 21, 2008, I’m hoping you will get it by tonight or tomorrow, but I thought I’d write the date since my last letter didn’t get sent when I thought it would. It is Sunday morning here and we were going to walk to a waterfall that is about 45 minutes walk from campus but we never got going and I don’t think we are going anymore since the kids want to go to the football (Soccer) game this afternoon. It is very peaceful and relaxing here. The only noises you hear are the birds singing their praises to their Heavenly Father, with an occasional airplane flying into the village. The airplane is a rare occasion, the principle at DIIC is a pilot and he is making several trips today, but usually there is only two to three planes that fly into the village every week.
This last week has been a growing experience. The principle and the family that had been staying at the school left on Sunday. Leaving Brother Eddy (the gardener and cook), Byron (a missionary new this year), and myself to take care of things until James (the principle) returned Tuesday or Wednesday. There were also three girls that had arrived to start classes. So they left on Sunday and school was supposed to start on Wednesday when James got back. We also only had enough food to last us until James came back with more. Well Tuesday came and went and no James. Wednesday came and went and no James. We have a Radio for communicating with him but we were not reaching of him. Thursday I heard on the Radio that he would be coming in on Sunday. We did not have enough food to last us until then so we went to the village to get some supplies. The village has many shops and has lots of different things, but it is expensive. (When I say running out of food I mean more of a variety of food, we had lots of Edos and Dashings but after eating only them you want something else. We also had lots of banana’s, green onions, and sweet peppers. So we were not going to starve) It is interesting cooking on a fire all the time. Having very warm or hot food for lunch makes the hot day even hotter. But since we do not have a refrigerator that is what we have to do. Friday morning came and I heard on the radio that James was coming. It was such a blessing that he came on Friday. We could have gotten by without him coming until Sunday but now he is going back to GT today and we know a bit more of what is yet to come.


Yesterday we went on a hike up Rain Mountain. From the school it looks like it would be a long hike. But actually it was not very long; it can take 20 minutes if you are fast but for me who is not fast and has to stop to catch my breath it took 40 minutes. The first 10 minutes of the hike is the same as going to the school farm; that part is up hill but not too bad. When you go past the farm up the mountain the trail gets very steep. It had rained a little earlier that day so the ground was muddy in places. When my friend Stephanie tells me about the trail to get up her mountain in the Philippines, I can now picture it a lot more. And I can’t imagine having to carry 50 kilos on my back. And this mountain only takes a quarter of the time to get up compared to hers! Maybe after 9 months of being here I’ll be able to climb bigger mountains like Stephanie’s!
On Sabbath afternoons they have AY (Adventist Youth) but it is for everyone. It is like a vespers program. Yesterday they divided up the kids 12 and younger from the rest. The kids 12 and under went outside and they were playing games. Every Sabbath I’m amazed at all the children that are at this church. They have lots of babies and many that are on their way. They also involve their kids very much. This last Sabbath they had a 12 year old girl give the sermon. It is really nice to see the kids so active in their church.
School should be starting on Tuesday. Then I’ll be teaching my first classes: math I and II and English I. please pray for me that I’ll be able to teach these kids well and that I’ll know what to teach them and that I’ll be able to make my self understood to them.
Thanks for all your letters! I enjoy reading them! I pray all is going well back home! Thanks for all your prayers.

Karla

No comments:
Post a Comment