Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lots of work to do here

October 19

I have enjoyed reading all the emails that I got. It was difficult to find time to read so many in my limited spare time, but I also enjoy having stuff to read.

I was hoping that we could get a project for you all to come out during Christmas. But I don’t think that we would have the wood to do some of the projects. They want to build a new kitchen. Ours is about to fall down at any moment. They want to build a hanger for the airplane. We want to put in a shower and toilet in the girls dorm. There is lots of work to be done here.

I don’t know how they make their septic tanks. I doubt if they use bricks, I don’t know where they would make the bricks. Mostly they use wood, but it comes slowly because they have to go out to the jungle and cut the tree and then cut them into boards.

In Guyana in general there is a lot of work happening. They have many places that want schools; Bible schools, industrial schools, secondary schools, and there are many public schools that would take teachers. They do not have good math or English teachers in the public schools. They really struggle with those classes. They take the best students from the graduating class and have them teach. I think this is one way to slowly deteriorate the educational system. In many villages, the schools are run by Catholic priests and it is hard to get SDA’s into the territory. But if we had missionary teachers they could come teach in these areas, and they would even get paid for it!

No comments: