Thursday, October 2, 2008

In the Jungle

Hi everyone,
I’ve been in the jungle at the Davis Indian Industrial College (DIIC) since last Thursday. It is so gorgeous here. It is very green and lush. The first day I was here I had so much inspiration to write such an amazing letter about how wonderful it was here but I did not have a computer to write with since my luggage had not arrived yet, but I will do the best I can to describe it to you today. The school is located next to the Paruima village, on the bottom side of a hill.

This picture is a view from the plane and my first glimpse of the campus. The campus is long and skinny. At the bottom of this hill next to the river is the principle’s house and a way up there is the guys’ dorm, then the administration building, and then the building at the top is the girls’ dorm. The girl’s dorm must be the oldest building that we still use. It is the only building that has no plumbing in it (more about that later). If you keep going up the mountain you will see a farm area. I have been up to the beginning of the farm but I do not know how far up the farm goes. I have heard that it goes up quite a ways.


I have been staying in the administration building for the last week and I will continue to stay here until some students come and then I will move up to the girls’ dorm, I don’t want to rush taking showers out in the open any sooner than I have too.

The girls’ dorm is the upstairs of the building with classrooms and storage area below. Here is a picture of the entrance to the dorm (the downstairs entrance is on the other side). My room in the girls’ dorm is right over the storage room where they keep the Bananas and other food.
I think the thing that I was looking forward to the most was the bananas. And I have not been disappointed. They are very good here. The ones that I really like are the banana apples. They are SO GOOD. They taste like a pink lady apple only in banana form. They are delicious!

Here are some pictures of the facilities that the girls get to enjoy. I have not gone inside the outhouse, but it looks like it could be a “2+ holer”! And then there is a picture of the shower. There are two heads in there and it appears like there is a bench just in case there is a line. But there’s a bench inside and I’m not sure if I’d want to sit down in there and wait for people to finish showering right there.

I have spent most of the morning and part of yesterday cleaning up the dorm. There are lots of presents left over from the bats and other living things that have occupied the dorm since school was out last year. I have a lovely view from my room in the dorm. Because the girls’ dorm is so high on the campus it has a good view from every window, whether looking up at the mountain or across the campus and out into the distance.

On Sunday we had our first staff meeting. We divided up the classes and I’ll be teaching math I and II as well as English I. I’m not so sure how the English class is going to go but they want us to teach them practical English and since that is the only English I’m any good at it should be easier than some.

I have been enjoying the food here! We have lots of fresh food and we have been eating mostly stuff grown here. When the kids come our diet will change since they cook the meals but I’m sure I’ll enjoy eating their food as well.

Well time in is short and I’m going to stop here so that I’ll have something to write next time. Thanks for all the emails. It is nice to hear from friends.
God Bless,
Karla

No comments: