I’m attempting to learn about the trees and plants that grow around here. So far I’ve got the coconut tree down! But I can’t tell the difference between water coconuts and the ones that we eat. I’m really enjoying coconuts. They are good in about anything. They grate it to put in oatmeal, they will make milk out of it and use it to cook with, it really adds flavor to the food. I didn’t really like coconut before, but now I love it, wish we ate more of it.
They have lots of tangerine trees. The village is full of them. I don’t think we ever go to the village and come back without at least one kid eating one. They also like to eat these "whitys". I don’t know what to compare it too, but it is like a giant green bean, that is an inch wide and 6 -12 inches long. They have these black seeds in them with fuzz around them, and the kids eat them all the time and all they eat is the fuzz. I tried it once but it was tasteless, and way too much work. It reminded me of cotton candy, without the sweetness.
We have lots of banana trees. It is nice to have lots of bananas. I’m not sure that we will be able to keep having plentiful bananas since we have 23 students and 6 plus staff members. But it is nice to have bananas.
We also have papaw trees. But by the time they are ripe the birds have eaten them. They are also hard to get down from the trees. Some of the trees are young and they are weak. I guess it only takes nine months from when you plant them till when they bear fruit. Pretty good for a tree.
We also have mango trees, but I don’t know which ones are the mango trees and they are not producing yet so we haven’t had any. I really want one though!
We have some pineapple plants, but they take forever to grow and they only produce in the summer when there is nobody at the school, so I don’t think they are going to plant them again. Peanuts also grow around here, but we don’t have any on our farm. We get them from village students and from other people in the village.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey girl! Good job with the trees. I miss you bunches. I can't wait to see your smiling face at the front desk next year. :D (and a sleepy face at the work-out room in the am). . . . Love ya! We are praying for you. God bless you, and remember that the Lord is always with you! Keep smiling. :D
Karla!
I miss you! I want you to be here...
But I guess I shouldn't be selfish-and I am sure you're having fun.
I think of you and pray for you often.
Think of me every now and then.
Hey Karla,
You should have enough bananas for the whole year. It might be that you will be without bananas for a week, a week and a half, once or twice a year, but that is not too bad. About the papaw trees, we never used to eat papaws because nobody would pick them and the birds will eat them before us. This was until one day, two years ago, when I decided to put a responsible student in charge of picking papaws. So he would look around and know where are all he papaw trees and check them from time to time. And that's when we started to eat lots of papaw. Maybe you are already doing this... The mango trees... they never bear fruits. Some say it's becuse they flourish during the rainy season, some say it's a soil deficiency. Anyway, the bottom line is that they are just for decoration.
I just thought you might be glad to have an input from someone who was there and knows a little bit how are things going there.
God bless! Enjoy your staying!
Post a Comment